A Statement of Purpose




Since 2012 I have been responsible for
the garden at the Pry House Field Hospital Museum on Antietam National Battlefield. The Pry House garden began as a 19th century style medicinal and kitchen garden, including medicinal plants, herbs, and vegetables. As close as possible, these plants mirrored those available to the Pry Family in the 1860s, meaning heirloom varieties. Since then, the garden has transformed to focus exclusively on medicinal plants, becoming an exhibit of the flora that was employed by military and civilian caregivers in the Civil War Era.

I am strictly an amateur, with no real experience in growing a garden. The purpose of this blog is to document my experiences as I learn by doing. It is anything but authoritative and I welcome any comments and advice for a greenhorn. Please be kind!

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January Snow

We had some snowy weather here at the Pry House during the end of last week. It made for an attractive view of the garden. It won't be long now before the garden is alive again with fresh green leaves. The weather is so lovely today and the birds are out and singing. It's hard to believe that it was so bitter cold here only a few days ago!

I thought I would post a few pictures from the recent snow, as well as some pictures I took after the Christmas snow last month.


From January:












From December:








Deer Tracks in the Garden








1 comment: